How to Become a Heat Printer
Step 1: Learn What Heat Printing Is
Heat printing, also known as heat transfer printing, is the process of applying heat transfer materials to various items (i.e., substrates) with a heat press. Heat-applied materials contain a heat-sensitive adhesive on one side; when heat is applied by a heat press to the material, the material adheres to the substrate, resulting in a decorated garment.
Step 2: Choose What to Make with Your Heat Press
Decorating with a heat press is an easy, cost-effective way to enter the garment decoration industry. It provides the opportunity to personalize a wide variety of items.
- T-shirts – this wardrobe staple has endless placement opportunities–from full fronts and backs to sleeves, left chest, and more
- Team uniforms – use a variety of materials and placement options to help teams stand out from the competition
- Bags – add personalization to backpacks, cinch bags, and sports bags with a variety of heat transfer materials
- Fan wear – help fans cheer on their favorite teams or players by adding a personalized touch to apparel and more
- Corporate – heat applying traditional left chest logos is an easy way to add a professional touch to apparel
- Small businesses – help build brand recognition by adding a custom tag or logo to your decorated apparel
- Clubs – reach out to local clubs and organizations to create gear for their upcoming events
- Schools – decorate lunch boxes, backpacks, pencil cases, and apparel in school colors, mascots, and more
- Fashion – create apparel with trendy sayings and designs in a variety of colors and finishes
Step 3: Focus on the Top 3 Heat Printing Factors
Three key components to consider when decorating with a heat press are: time, temperature, and pressure. Every heat transfer material has its own heat printing instructions.
- Time: The amount of time, in seconds, that heat must be applied to the design/garment.
- Temperature: The optimal degree at which the design will adhere to the garment.
- Pressure: The amount of downward force needed when heat applying.
Step 4: Choose the Right Heat Press
How do you know which type of heat press is right for your business? There are several key factors to consider:
- Space: How much space do you have in your work area?
- Production: How much will you use the heat press?
- Size: What type of garments are you decorating?
- Experience: How much experience do you have working with heat presses?
- Cost: How much do you want to invest in your heat press equipment?
- Manufacturer: Do you know where your heat press is from? Is the company quick to resolve issues and has reliable customer service and tech support?
COMPARE HEAT PRESSES
Hotronix®Auto Open Clam
What Is a Clam Style Heat Press?
- The auto open clam design is equipped with an auto release feature allowing you to multi-task without running the risk of burning garments.
- Best for beginners
- Takes up the least amount of space
- Most portable option
- Available in 3 sizes to fit any budget
What Is a Draw or Swinger Heat Press?
- The swinger/draw press gives you the ability to quickly thread garments onto the lower platen while providing a heat-free workspace.
- Best for experienced heat printers
- Produces a higher volume of work
- Choose from preloaded material instructions or enter your own
- Takes up more space than the auto open clam
- Cloud-based technology provides insight into job and operator performance
What Is an Air Heat Press?
- The air swinger/draw design reduces operator fatigue by using compressed air.
- Ideal for high-volume businesses
- Provides a heat-free workspace
- Most expensive option
- Wireless technology allows you to manage your business from anywhere
Step 5: Order Heat Printing Supplies
- CAD-CUT® Heat Transfer Vinyl – If you own a vinyl cutter, we have an extensive line of roll goods for every job, fabric, garment, and textile.
- Custom Logo Services – When you’re at capacity let us do the work for you. Upload your art and we’ll deliver a premium design in the material of your choice.
- Patches & Emblems – Turn your custom logo into a genuine leather patch or highly-detailed emblem in a variety of colors and finishes.
- Wholesale Blank Apparel – We offer the perfect canvas for all your heat printing needs—from T-shirts and polos, to outerwear and accessories.
- Additional Equipment – Expand your product offerings by adding heat print accessories, vinyl cutters, print/cut machines, and more to your shop.
Videos for Materials, Services & EquipmentView All Videos >
See the latest innovations in CAD-CUT® heat transfer materials and learn tips, tricks, and instructions on creating the best designs possible.Go To Materials Videos >
Learn how to use Stahls' products to start your own T-shirt business. Watch videos on services, accessories and more.Go To Services Videos >
Find the right heat printing equipment for your business and learn how to keep it running at full capacity.Go To Equipment Videos >